Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Well for those that know us you should know that neither me (Adam) or Barry have a ounce of self doubt when it comes to adventure. "Sounds like a good idea, lets do it" Well apparently this can be a bad combination when a normal person is not with us. We went fishing for a couple hours on Monday, took the kayak and canoe to float down the river. Well from 8:30 till shortly after noon we ended up portaging, the water was too shallow. We then checked the GPS and saw the truck was 21km away, as the crow flies. The car was only about 1km walking distance. So we started paddling, no time for fishing at this point. It was a great day, especially once the water was deep enough to float us on a consistent basis. The afternoon was tiring, supper time was exausting, my muscles were burning. Sunset was excruciating, my arms were on fire, but I could not actually feel them moving, I was numb. Darkness was ok, we had a full moon, but no flashlights. Then the last bit before the truck we hit rapids again, in the dark, with no idea what was in front of us.

We made it to the truck after 13 hours on the water, and about 40km of travel. I cant speak for Barry (although I think he called in sick, the wuss) but today hurt. It was worth it though. Next time well skip the 3 km portage....

So where are we going this weekend Barry?










5 Comments:

Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

All I can say is "you fools". When the cover of the truck was still in the yard when I went to bed at 11:30pm, I thought "Adam, you're a nut", and I married the right "brother". LOL

10:06 AM  
Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

And is the "normal person" Rob???

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob would be one of the normal ones compared to us. He would have at least gotten out at one of the bridges and gotten a ride to the truck, or got help from the people we ran into at sunset. He might have even looked at the map to see if we would be back by noon.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

You don't know me very well then. If I had no commitments like you guys, I'd have been there too!!!

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine, you're welcome to prove that statement this weekend.....

PS Barry now has a white canoe with a hole in it from all the rocks we went over.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home