Monday, July 16, 2007

So I finally have the bike running again.... hopefully without spitting oil onto the back tire this time. The whole engine rebuild last year....well it was all caused by a bolt on the sarter motor being too long. The bolt had snapped a couple years ago, and I finally replaced it with a new one. It was only a couple mm too long, but that was enough. It was pushing down on the final air baffle before the crankcase vent tube. The ping that I heard, that I assumed was a piston ring, was in fact the bolt punching through the air baffle. It must have finally heated up enough to soften the metal.

I drained the battery this weekend trying to start it. The engine kept flooding, like it wasnt sparking properly. Turns out I was right. The fuel sensor wires were corroded. I shorted that sensor and the bike finaly started. It ran really rough at first, backfiring, and not having full power. The spark plug boots were not pushed down on two of the cylinders....Duh

Runs fine now, except for the fuel leak from the pet cock valve. The new one arrives tomorrow morning........

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on getting the bike going. Should have put the new petcock on when you had it last year and then you would be done now. Ah well. When are you going to get the quad running? That one seems an easy fix too.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if we're going to play should have..... we should have taken the side cover off before we rebuilt the engine...... Then I would have been riding a couple days after it all started :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I'm still waiting for the picture of your rod. :)

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havent played with my rod in a while :) I'm sure I'll feel the urge soon though.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home